Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Dreamcicle Jelly



This was the jelly I made last night. It was quite easy and really does taste like my favorite orange dreamcicle bars I loved as a child. I did mine a little different but is basically at least near all the recipes going around. Around here in the middle of the woods there are no vanilla beans to be found, not even in West Branch, I know I tried. Was suppose to make 7 ( 1/2 pints ) and was spot on.

4 cups Simply orange Juice with high pulp
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
1 box fruit pectin

Wash and rinse your jars and I always put them in my boiling water bath until they are needed along with the tops but not the bands.

In a large sauce pan,  (I use a 2 qt casserole pan) put the OJ and sugar and bring it to a full rolling boil. Boil 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and pectin and boil 1 more minute.

Take the jars out as you use them and set tops. then put all the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and set out in a non drafty area to seal. Six out of the seven sealed as I was pulling them out and the last did about five minutes later.

Note when I do this again I will be cooking it longer as it was a bit runny.

No comments:

Post a Comment