Source: Mind Body Spirit
January 21 ? February 17
This point in the agricultural calendar is marked by the plowing of the soil
To prepare it for the seed, any magic performed now is groundwork. The
Surface of the earh appears barren but the life-force is stirring beneath.
Ask yourself what you need to prepare to plant the seeds of your dreams this
The Celtic fire festival of Imbolc (February 2) falls in the Rowan Moon, and
Is associated with the goddess Brigid, to whom the festivities are dedicated
Also known as Bride, she represents the mother of the newborn Sun, and all
Candle magic is sacred to her. During the Rowan Moon, wear white to cast
Spells, use white candles, and feast on white foods to attune to the season.
The Tree Of Perseverance
The rowan terrain or mountain ash often grows on craggy mountains, higher
Than any other tree. Its ability to flourish in bleak places teaches you
Perseverance. The rowan berries reveal a natural pentagram at their base ? a
Symbol of the womb of the Earth Goddess and of protection. These physical
Attributes give the tree associations of healing and guardianship.
Sprays of rowan berries were once hung in cattle barns to protect livestock
From disease and sorcery. The leaves and berries can also be used to make
Divination incense, and carrying the bark is believed to promote healing in
The bearer. The name ?rowan? even comes from the same root as the word
?rune?, in its meaning as a charm.
The Wheel Of Bride
This protective charm represents the waxing energies of the Sun and can be
Hung in the home to attract good luck.
1) Collect two straight sticks of rowan or mountain ash wood. Leave an
Offering of thanks on a branch, such as a strand of hair, thread or ribbon.
2) Hold the sticks in a cross and say: ?Spirits of this wood, I bring
You together for the good of all.?
3) Bind the sticks into an equal-armed cross and secure with red thread
As you do this visualize a powerful white light.
4) Hold the charm up to the Sun and say: ?Behold the Wheel of Bride,
Use this meditation and a magic mirror to help increase your psychic powers.
1) Prop up a round mirror on a table, surrounded by rowan leaves,
Berries and three white candles. Close your eyes and say aloud: ?My lady,
Open my inner eye to grant clear vision.?
2) Focus on the center of your forehead and ?direct? your breathing on
3) Half-open your eyes and gaze in the mirror. Focus on your breath and
Register any images that drift into your mind. Repeat this process regularly
And your visions will improve.
Combine the magic of the Rowan Moon with the candle magic of Imbolc.
1) Fill a small pot with earth and then hold a white candle in your
Right hand. Concentrate on what you want to grow this year.
2) Plant the candle in the soil, saying: ?Mother Brigid I ask you to
Nurture my dream. May it grow with your blessed light.?
3) Light the candle and see its flame expand, taking strength from the
4) After seeking the help of the goddess through candle magic, plant a
Seed as an offering of thanks to her in a favorite place and wait for your
Wish to grow.
Attune To The Moon
Harness the growing potential of the Rowan Moon in your life and make a new
Start by following these resolutions.
Begin spring cleaning now. As the light increases, you will need to clear
Out your clutter with all your energy to make way for new growth.
Have a Rowan Moon dinner party and ask your guests to wear white, dine by
Candlelight and eat seeds such as beans, pulses and nuts.
Look for the first snowdrops of the season and make a wish when you see one.
Snowdrops hold the potential of spring.
Tie a white ribbon on a rowan tree while saying the names of those you love.
The tree will send out healing vibrations to them.