Wednesday, October 31, 2012
50 Ways To Use Essential Oils
I came across this some years back. It is a quick herbal lesson for the beginner who wants to learn quickly
1. For Scent-Sational smelling towels, sheets, clothes, etc. Place a
Few drops of your favorite essential oil onto a small piece of terry
Cloth and toss into the clothes dryer while drying. Add 5 drops
Essential oil to 1/4 cup fabric softener or water and place in the
Center cup of the wash.
2. Potpourri which has lost its scent can be revived by adding a few
Drops of essential oil.
3. Add a few drops of oil to water in a spray bottle and use as an air
4. Add a few drops essential oil to a pan of water and simmer on stove
Or in potpourri pot.
5. To enjoy a scented candle, place a drop or two of oil into the hot
Melted wax as the candle burns.
6. To dispel household cooking odors, add a few drops of Clove oil to
A simmering pan.
7. For tired aching muscles or arthritis aches, mix 1 part Cajeput,
Sage, and Basil oil to 4 parts Jojoba or other vegetable oil and use
As a massage oil.
8. Ease headache pain by rubbing a drop of Rosemary/Lavender oil onto
The back of your neck.
9. To blend your own massage oil, add 3-5 drops of your favorite
Essential oil to 1 oz. Jojoba or other skin-nourishing vegetable oil.
Don't make too much
10. Add 10 drops of essential oil to a box of cornstarch or baking
Soda, mix very well, let set for a day or two and then sprinkle over
The carpets in your home. Let set for an hour or more, then vacuum.
11. To make a natural flea collar, saturate a short piece of cord or
Soft rope with Pennyroyal or Tea Tree oil, roll up in a handkerchief
And tie loosely around the animal's neck.
12. Smelly feet or shoes can be remedied by either dropping a few
Drops of Geranium essential oil directly into the shoes or by placing
A cotton ball dabbed with a few drops of Lemon oil into the shoes.
Athlete's foot? Tea tree is great!
13. Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a cotton ball
And place it in your vacuum cleaner bag. Lemon and Pine are nice. Rose
Geranium helps with doggy odor.
14. To fragrance your kitchen cabinets and drawers, place a food scent
Dabbed on a cotton ball in an Inc.onspicuous corner.
15. Are mice a problem? Place several drops of Peppermint oil on
Cotton balls and place them at problem locations.
16. The bathroom is easily scented by placing oil-scented cotton balls
In Inc.onspicuous places or sprinkle oils directly onto silk or dried
Flower arrangements or wreaths.
17. Apply true Lavender oil and Tea tree oil directly to cuts,
Scrapes, or scratches. 1 or 2 drops will promote healing.
18. Homemade soaps are pleasant and offer therapeutic effects when
Scented with essential oils.
19. Home-made sachets are more fragrant when essential oils are
Blended with the flowers and herbs.
20. An essential oil dropped on a radiator, scent ring, or light bulb
Will not only fill the room with a wonderful fragrance, but also will
Set a mood such as calming or uplifting. Don't put essential oil in
21. A few drops of your favorite oil or blend in the rinse water of
Your handwashables makes for pleasant results.
22. Anise oil has been used by fishermen for years. Use a drop or two
The finger tips and hands before baiting up. Anise covers up the human
Scent that scares the fish away.
23. Essential oils or blends make wonderful perfumes. Create your own
Personal essence! 25 drops to 1 oz of perfume alcohol. Let age two
Weeks before using.
24. To dispel mosquitoes and other picnic or Bar-B-Q pests, drop a few
Drops of Citronella oil in the melted wax of candle or place a few
Drops on the Bar-B-Q hot coals.
25. 1 drop of Lemon essential oil applied directly to a wart is an
Effective means of elimination. Apply the essential oil daily until
The wart is gone.
26. Rosemary promotes alertness and stimulates memory. Inhale
Occasionally during long car trips and while reading or studying.
27. Selling your home? Fragrance sells! Fill the kitchen area with the
Aroma of spices such as Clove, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Simmer a few
Drops of the essential oils of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and other spices,
Geranium oil sprinkled throughout the home creates a warm, cheerful,
And inviting mood. Add Cinnamon oil to furniture polish and wipe down
28. Add essential oils to paper mache, the result is the creation of a
Lovely aromatic art piece.
29. Infuse bookmarks and stationary with essential oils. Place drops
of oil on paper and put them in a plastic bag. Seal.it and leave
overnight to infuse the aroma. Send only good news in perfumed letters.
30. Neck pillows, padded and decorative hangers make more memorable
gifts simply by putting a couple of drops of essential oil on them
31. Overindulge last night? Essential oils of Juniper, Cedarwood,
Grapefruit, Lavender, Carrot, Fennel, Rosemary, and Lemon help soften
the effects of a hangover. Make your own blend of these oils and use a
total of 6-8 drops in a bath.
32. Essential oils of Vetivert, Cypress, Atlas Cedarwood,
FrankInc.ense. and Myrrh all make wonderful firewood oils. Drop
approximately 2-3 drops of oil or blend of your choice on a dried log
and allow time for the oil to soak in before putting the log on the fire.
33. Flies and moths dislike Lavandin oil. Sprinkle it on the outside
of your window frames.
34. Place 1 or 2 drops of sleep enhancing oils such as Chamomile,
Lavender, Neroli, Marjoram, or Hops, on your pillow before retiring
for restful sleep.
35. When moving into a new home, first use a water spray containing
your favorite essential oils and change the odorous environment to
your own. Do this for several days until it begins to feel like your
36. Ideal scents for the bedroom are Roman Chamomile, Geranium,
Lavender, or Lemon.
37. 1 drop of Lemon essential oil on a soft cloth will polish copper
with gentle buffing.
38. When washing out the fridge, freezer, or oven, add 1 drop of
Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Mandarin, or Orange essential oil
to the final rinse water.
39. For burns or scalds, drop Tea Tree oil directly onto the affected
40. Place 1 drop of Peppermint oil in 1/2 glass of water, sip slowly
to aid digestion and relieve upset stomach.
41. Use 1 drop Chamomile oil on a washcloth wrapped ice cube to
relieve teething pain in children.
42. 6-8 drops of Eucalyptus oil in the bath cools the body in summer
and protects it in winter.
43. Add 1 drop Geranium oil to your facial moisturizer to bring out a
radiant glow in your skin.
44. Place 1 or 2 drops of Rosemary on your hair brush before brushing
to promote growth and thickness.
45. When the flu is going around add a few drops of Thyme to your
diffusor or simmer in a pan on the stove.
46. To bring fever down, sponge the body with cool water to which 1
drop each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lavender oils have been added.
47. The blend of lavender and Grapefruit oil is good for the office.
Lavender creates a calm tranquil atmosphere while Grapefruit
stimulates the senses and clears up stale air.
48. A blend of Geranium, Lavender, and Bergamot alleviate anxiety and
depression. Use ia a room diffusor or 6-8 drops of this blend in the bath.
49. A wonderful massage blend for babies is 1 drop Roman Chamomile, 1
drop Lavender, 1 drop Geranium diluted in 2 Tablespoons Sweet Almond oil.
50. 1 drop Peppermint oil diluted in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil rubbed
on the back of the neck helps to relieve headaches.