Friday, December 7, 2012

It really works! Growing more scallions…from other scallions

It really works! Growing more scallions…from other scallions

Before we begin, scallions are the same thing as green onions. You may know that already, but for the longest time, I didn’t. So for those of you that just learned something new…you’re welcome.
Moving on, I saw this tip at least a dozen times on Pinterest in the past, and brushed it off. Scrolled on by. Then, a few weeks ago, my cousins came to visit and one of them cooked us an amazing dinner (Hi Kou!). He asked me if I had ever saved the scallion whites to grow more scallions, and I was all…”Um, no? Does that actually do anything? Don’t be crazy.”
And he said, yes, I’ll just do it for you. Turns out that is an immensely effective way to get me to try something new!
He chopped off the green part of the onions to use in our dinner, then put the rest of the scallions in a little cup with a couple inches of water.I changed the water once every few days, and as you can see, new greens have sprouted up from the middle of the whites!
This has been immensely satisfying to watch. The cup is set by a sunny window, and grows more and more each day! When I need scallions, I snip some greens off the top.
The roots in the glass have grown too. This picture is about a week old, now they’re winding around the bottom in a circle. Eventually, the whites will be spent and I’ll throw them out and start with some new ones–but when all is said and done, these scallions have given me at least two or three times as much as they would have without this darling little tip.
Now, I know I can’t just walk in your kitchen and do this for you…but nevertheless, will you try it? I swear, it’s the easiest thing, and works like a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment